Poll: Do you use csv.Sniffer?

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Thu Sep 24 22:26:04 EDT 2009

If you are a csv module user, I have a question for you:  Do you use the
csv.Sniffer class?

    o Yes, frequently
    o Yes, on occasion
    o I tried it a few times but don't use it now
    o No, I don't need it
    o No, never heard of it
    o No (some other reason)

If you don't use it, how do you figure out the structure of your csv files?

    o I just know
    o I stumble around in the dark trying different parameters until the csv
      reader starts to spit out useful data

If csv.Sniff was to be removed from a future version of Python, how
difficult would it be to adapt?

    o No problem
    o No problem as long as you make it available via PyPI
    o It would be a problem

If it would be a problem for you (which would not easily be solved by adding
it to PyPI), feel free to describe why it would be a challenge for you.  In
fact, please feel free to add any other comments you like to your response.

Private replies please.

Thanks,

--
Skip Montanaro - skip at pobox.com - http://www.smontanaro.net/
    Getting old sucks, but it beats dying young