PExpect on Windows System Using Cygwin

Kevin Holleran kdawg44 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 08:42:37 EDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 6:09 AM, Dave Angel <davea at ieee.org> wrote:

> Sean DiZazzo wrote:
>
>> On Sep 24, 4:37 pm, Dave Angel <da... at ieee.org> wrote:
>>

>>> <snip>
>>>>

>>> Why not just use the subprocess module?   It's built into the Windows
>>> distribution, and doesn't need cygwin.
>>>
>>> DaveA
>>>

>> Can subprocess pass things like passwords to running processes like
>> pexpect can?
>>
>> ~Sean
>>

> I don't know what pexpect is/was capable of, since it's not apparently part
> of the current Python distributions.  I thought it had the ability to fork
> or spawn a child process, with pipes connected.
>
> Anyway, subprocess can launch a new process, with pipes optionally
> connected back to your code.  I don't think it can attach to an
> already-running process.
>
> There are things in pywin32 that might help (even for controlling GUI
> programs), but I suspect there'd be a big learning curve.  And of course
> it'd then be very Windows-dependent.
>
> pywin32 - http://python.net/crew/skippy/win32/Downloads.html
> or get it as part of the ActiveState python distro.
> http://www.activestate.com/activepython/
>

> DaveA
>

> --

Thanks for the suggestions.  My script is already written and works great
with PExpect as long as I run it in my cygwin environment.  My question I
think is better suited to a cygwin list actually as I am hoping that I can
simply move the appropriate .dll's up to the server without actually
installing cygwin on the server.

Thanks.