Distributing Python-programs to Ubuntu users

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Fri Sep 25 08:53:50 EDT 2009

Olof Bjarnason <olof.bjarnason at gmail.com> writes:

>   - any geeks visiting my blog that are non-Ubuntu (i'll just provide
> the source code and tell them to apt-get python-pygame)

Note that for several years now the recommended command-line tool for
package installation is not ‘apt-get’, but ‘aptitude’ [0]. Compatible
command-line interface, uses the same back-end library and package
system, but many improvements in behaviour; especially the distinction
between manually-requested packages versus automatically-installed
packages that can be later removed when they're no longer needed.

[0] <URL:http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch02.en.html#_basic_package_management_operations>

--
 \        “The problem with television is that the people must sit and |
  `\    keep their eyes glued on a screen: the average American family |