Format string with single quotes in it

Jon Clements joncle at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 25 09:36:24 EDT 2009

On 25 Sep, 13:42, Bahadir <bilgehan.bal... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> My question is simple, but I've been spending some hours over the web
> and still struggling to get this right: How do I format a string that
> contains single quotes in it?
>
> I am reading a file with lines of the form:
>
> CONT%d_VIRTMEM_REGIONS  'Container %d number of virtual regions'
>
> and trying to format this as follows:
>
> str % (0, 0)

Don't call variables 'str' as it'll mask the builtin string type.

> I get the error:
>
> ValueError: unsupported format character '
> ' (0xa) at index 5541

Index 5541!? I would guess the lines in the file aren't quite what you
think. The message you're receiving suggests you've got a % character,
followed by a linefeed character -- are you opening the file in text
mode, if not, do so... and if your file has mixed newline sequences,
try using the universal newline option: infile = open
('filename','rU').

> I also tried:
>
> # Replace single quotes with \'
> str = str.replace("'", "\'")
>
> and doubling the backward slash as well.

None of that is needed AFAICT.

> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Bahadir