Crypto and export laws

M.-A. Lemburg mal at
Fri Sep 25 17:56:57 CEST 2009

Piet van Oostrum wrote:
>> M-L> Depending on how close a country follows the Wassenaar
>> M-L> Arrangement ( OpenSSL, Python
>> M-L> and all other open-source software falls under the
>> M-L> """
>> M-L> The Lists do not control "software" which is either:
>> M-L> 1. ...
>> M-L> 2. "In the public domain".
>> M-L> """
>> M-L> If you're shipping a closed-source product that includes
>> M-L> OpenSSL, then you'd have to follow the rules in category 5
>> M-L> part 2 of the dual-use list:
>> M-L>
> But Python is not in the public domain. Open source != public domain.
> Public domain means there is no copyright and no license attached to it,

As already mentioned in the thread, the "in the public domain" phrase
in the WA list refers to anything that is available to anyone
without restrictions to dissemination, e.g. open-source software,
freeware, etc.

For things you sell, the more restrictive cat. 5 part 2 note
applies if you ship crypto code.

Marc-Andre Lemburg

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Sep 25 2009)
>>> Python/Zope Consulting and Support ...
>>> mxODBC.Zope.Database.Adapter ...
>>> mxODBC, mxDateTime, mxTextTools ...

::: Try our new mxODBC.Connect Python Database Interface for free ! :::: Software, Skills and Services GmbH  Pastor-Loeh-Str.48