Distributing Python-programs to Ubuntu users

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Fri Sep 25 20:28:24 EDT 2009

On 25 Sep, 23:14, Olof Bjarnason <olof.bjarna... at gmail.com> wrote:

> So what approach do you suggest? I've gotten as far as understanding
> how to add menu-items to the Ubuntu menus, simple .desktop file format
> to do that.

Yes, xdg-desktop-menu will probably do the trick.

> One could "cheat" and write an install.sh script that adds the
> appropriate menu item, sudo-apt-gets the PyGame dependency (python is
> there by default in Ubuntu). The menu item could point to the download
> directory simply..

I suppose the distribution of simple archives isn't enough if you want
the dependency to be pulled in. I personally would therefore just make
some quite simple Debian/Ubuntu packaging and distribute a .deb file -
I believe most distributions of this flavour have a graphical tool
which will offer to install such packages if downloaded, and the whole
sudo business would be taken care of by such a tool. This isn't how I
obtain software, however, so you might want to experiment a little.

Paul