Business issues regarding adapting Python

Duncan Booth duncan.booth at invalid.invalid
Sun Sep 27 11:02:31 EDT 2009

Nash <nasrullah at gmail.com> wrote:

> If I rephrase the question: In an absense of steady Python Developers;
> can there be a viable strategy involving training? Or will it be much
> safer going with an already common developer pool.

My experience has been that:

a) Python developers come from the better end of the programmer pool. It
doesn't really matter that there are 100 times as many PHP programmer if
you wouldn't want to employ 99% of them. In an environment where the
Python programmers are rare you can be pretty sure that the ones there
are the ones with an interest in finding out the best way to do things,
not just the ones for whom cutting code is a 9 to 5 job.

b) Python is pretty easy to learn. Any half way competent programmer
picks it up pretty quickly.