Python shared lib

namekuseijin namekuseijin.nospam at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 23:33:25 EDT 2009

So, I was trying to get the yafaray raytracer to work with the 3D
package Blender, but it asks for python2.6 and all I got is a 2.5.
Actually, quite a lot of other related Blender packages are also
migrating to 2.6, so a compilation was inevitable.

Then I go:
./configure --prefix=~/ && make && make install

and then I realize that, for whatever reason, the super popular and
trendy python DOESN'T FRIGGIN BUILD SHARED LIBS BY DEFAULT!

why oh why it is so popular and doesn't even think of poor software
packages that might use its shared libs?...   You gotta activate it with
a friggin' --enable-shared, which isn't listed by --help as either yes
or no as default (I assumed yes for obvious reasons)...

bored and annoyed after second recompilation... hope some dev picks this
minor nitpick...