IMGCrush (New Python image optimizing tool)

kiithsacmp at gmail.com kiithsacmp at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 14:12:12 EDT 2009

On Sep 5, 4:30 pm, a... at pythoncraft.com (Aahz) wrote:
> In article <a66eaf23-ef2f-49bd-9a5a-d7e35e3b0... at l13g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
>
> kiithsa... at gmail.com <kiithsa... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Requires ImageMagick and Python (coded in python 2.x, I'm running 2.6
> >but it might run on older python as well)
>
> Why are you using ImageMagick instead of PIL?
> --
> Aahz (a... at pythoncraft.com)           <*>        http://www.pythoncraft.com/
>
> "Look, it's your affair if you want to play with five people, but don't
> go calling it doubles."  --John Cleese anticipates Usenet

Mainly because it started as an ImageMagick based bash script :p. But
ImageMagicks ability to load just about any format helps.
Also, from what I see in PIL docs, it doesn't seem to allow to set as
many format specific saving options (especially various rarely used
PNG options), which is extremely important for IMGCrush.