os.listdir unwanted behaviour

Chris Adamson chris.adamson at mcri.edu.au
Tue Sep 29 02:03:46 EDT 2009

Hello,

I am writing code that cycles through files in a directory and for each
file it writes out another file with info in it. It appears that as I am
iterating through the list returned by os.listdir it is being updated
with the new files that are being added to the directory. This occurs
even if I reassign the list to another variable.

Here is my code:

fileList = os.listdir(temporaryDirectory)

for curFile in fileList:
    # print the file list to see if it is indeed growing
    print FileList
    fp = file(os.path.join(temporaryDirectory, "." + curFile), 'w')
    # write stuff
    fp.close()

Here is the output:

So the list is growing and eventually curFile iterates through the list
of files that were created. I don't want this to happen and it seems
like a bug because the fileList variable should be static, i.e. not
updated after being assigned.
Even if I assign fileList to another variable this still happens. Any ideas?

Chris.