Using String for new List name

nn pruebauno at latinmail.com
Tue Sep 29 10:15:34 EDT 2009

On Sep 28, 7:37 pm, Scott <scott.freem... at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> Rule:
> access-list cramer line 54 extended permit tcp 192.168.0.0
> 255.255.252.0 host 10.1.0.195 eq 1433 (hitcnt=0) 0xc3fbbb5c
> Regex:
> tcp.*cramer:192\.168\..*10\.1\.0\.195/1433
> And an example log to match against:
> 2009-09-21 12:10:04     local4.info     10.1.0.1        sep 21 2009 12:10:03 fwsm :
> %fwsm-6-302013: built inbound tcp connection 146034729239394289 for
> cramer:192.168.0.171/2531 (192.168.0.171/2531) to lab:10.1.0.195/1433
> (10.1.0.195/1433)
>
> Writing that was a lot of fun. Ouch, my brain.
>
> Next I iterate across all of the log files saving successful network
> connections while filtering out remarks, denials, duplicates, etc.
>
> Now I take the selected logs and test them with the Rule regexes, in
> order, until I get a match. (Actually I'm going to attempt to test
> each log as I accept it instead of building up a multi-Gigabyte List
> Object and then looping through it)
>
> Now the part that has tied me up for a while - I'll try to be clear
> about it:
>
> Say I take the first chosen syslog string and begin testing it against
> my rule regexes. I find that the 10th regex is a match. I want to save
> rule # 10 and below it the current (matching) syslog string. (by save
> I mean put it in some object that I can print it out later, in order)
>
> The second syslog string matches rule # 20. I want to save rule # 20
> and below it the second syslog string.
>
> Finally, the third syslog string matches rule # 10 again and I simply
> want to add this syslog beneath the one that was saved in the first
> step.
>
> This way I could print a report that showed:
> ******
> ACL rule1 details, details  (This is the string referenced by aclS)
>     syslog string showing a connection
>     another syslog string showing a connection
>
> ACL rule2 details, details
>     (never used)
>
> ACL rule3 details, details
>     syslog string...
>     another syslog string...
>     yet another syslog string...

> ******
>
> This is why I thought that I needed to take something, a substring or
> even the entire string, from each rule (aclS) and use it for the
> "name" (reference, pointer?) of a new List to save all of the matching
> logs in.
>
> I could not do this so I registered and posted here on
> comp.lang.python - and within 17 minutes I had my answer!
> Duncan showed the dictionary method. Boy, I had to stare at that for a
> while to get it. Ethan gave an example of how to reference it once it
> was created, and then you came along and added an example of doing it
> interactively! Oh and your  scenarios were spot on. What a community!
> I'm really impressed.
>
> I think the dictionary approach will get me there but if there is some
> convention that would work better I'm all ears.

No that is pretty much it. Your dictionary could look something like
this:

>>> pprint(rules_info)
{'ACL rule 1': ['detail detail', 'syslog string1', 'another syslog
string'],
 'ACL rule 2': ['detail detail'],
 'ACL rule 3': ['detail detailsyslog string1', 'yet another syslog
string']}

The only wrinkle is that a dictionary doesn't care about any
particular ordering of its entries, so if you want them in a
particular order you might have to sort them first when you output
them. You know like:

>>> for rule in sorted(rules_info): print rule,rules_info[rule]

ACL rule 1 ['detail detail', 'syslog string1', 'another syslog
string']
ACL rule 2 ['detail detail']
ACL rule 3 ['detail detailsyslog string1', 'yet another syslog
string']

Producing output in an order different than the dictionary key is left
as an exercise for the reader :-)