Entry Level Python Jobs

Philip Semanchuk philip at semanchuk.com
Wed Sep 2 11:59:32 EDT 2009

On Sep 2, 2009, at 11:48 AM, r wrote:

> On Sep 2, 10:31 am, JonathanB <doulo... at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am a self-taught Python programmer with a liberal arts degree
>> (Cross-
>> cultural studies). I have been programming for several years now and
>> would like to get a job as a python programmer. Unfortunately most of
>> the job posts I have seen are for CS Majors or people with
>> experience.
>>
>> Is there a place I can look for job posts for entry level positions
>> requiring no experience? For the hiring managers, if the job post
>> said
>> "CS Major" in the requirements, would you consider a liberal arts
>> major at all?
>
> Have you thought about getting involved with the Python core
> development. Not a paying position, but may lead you to some good
> connections, and i can't think of a better place to prove yourself
> than that ;-)

Or instead of diving into the Python core which might be pretty heavy
stuff, create some open source code -- a game, a calculator, a music
generator, an app to automatically download weather maps, etc.
Whatever tickles your fancy. If you're willing to stand on your merits
(and it sounds like you are), you can point people to where your code
is hosted and say, "I wrote that".

Anyway, it's something to do in between hitting refresh on http://www.python.org/community/jobs/

Good luck to you
Philip