IDE for python similar to visual basic

Brendon Wickham brendon.wickham at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 08:42:25 EDT 2009

> The interface really should be configurable by the user according to their
> needs. The code doesn't need to *know* the position or dimensions of
> a widget, or its label or colour or spacing, let alone dictate them.

Perhaps...but the user needs a framework in order to understand the
functions they find themselves in charge of once they've initiated a
program. As the designer, the programmer is best placed to provide
that framework, because they know, or they should know, what it is
(something I don't think can be taken for granted). Therefore,
fundamental decisions about the UI should be left to the programmer.
If customisation is possible, all well and good, but it should not be
the main goal of a UI. Usability principles should be.

> In most cases, the code shouldn't even get to dictate that specific
> widgets even exist. Rather, it should provide actions which can
> be bound to buttons, menu items and/or accelerators as the user chooses.

That would be an API.