Why indentation is use to denote block of code?

rurpy at yahoo.com rurpy at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 14 10:29:40 EDT 2009

On 09/13/2009 10:43 PM, TerryP wrote:
> On Sep 13, 10:12 pm, Peng Yu <pengyu... at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I want to understand why python use indentation to denote block of
>> code. What are the advantages of it? Is there a style in python to
>> denote a block of code the same as that of C++ (with '{}')?
>>
>> One disadvantage of using indentation to denote a block of code is
>> that the runtime to automatically indent a python code would be about
>> a few times more than the runtime to automatically indent a C++ code
>> of the same length (both are in vim).
>
> Not to be omega-rude and disrespectful, but if you have to ask such a
> question -- you are either to stupid a programmer to warrant any
> intellectual response, or are just interested in wasting peoples
> bandwidth.

Not to be omega-rude and disrespectful either but if you think
tradeoffs made in designing a language, such as the choice of
indents or braces to denote blocks, are simple and obvious
ones, then you are either a very stupid person, or are trying
to vent your anger from the safety of a remote computer.