Distributing Python-programs to Ubuntu users

Donn donn.ingle at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 03:26:23 EDT 2009

On Friday 25 September 2009 08:15:18 Olof Bjarnason wrote:
> Does anyone have any hint on a more economic way of creating
> single-file distribution packages
You could use distutils (setup.py) and include a readme that explains what
apt-get commands to use to install pygame, etc. Generally it's better to *not*
include the kitchen-sink with your apps; rather expect the user to have those
libraries already or be able to fetch them with ease.
I did my best at explaining that deeply confusing setup.py process here:
http://wiki.python.org/moin/Distutils/Tutorial

I have also seen two other approaches:
1. A new app called 'Quickly' which is some kind of magical auto-do-
everything-ubuntu connected to Launchpad. From what I hear it sounds very
cool. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/Specs/Karmic/Quickly
2. The Ubuntu PPA repositories -- google around. (Seems Quickly does this too)

hth,
\d
--
home: http://otherwise.relics.co.za/