off topic but please forgive me me and answer

Martin P. Hellwig martin.hellwig at dcuktec.org
Sat Apr 3 16:17:10 EDT 2010

On 04/03/10 16:46, Patrick Maupin wrote:
> On Apr 3, 9:43 am, "Martin P. Hellwig">  IMHO, the crackpot in this
> regard is actually partially right,
>> multiplication does mean that the number must get bigger, however for
>> fractions you multiply four numbers, two numerators and two
>> denominators. The resulting numerator and denominator by this
>> multiplication get indeed bigger.
>
> That argument is great!  Just make sure that you've managed to leave
> before the class has to learn about irrational numbers that don't
> *have* numerators and denominators ;-)

Yeah but those numbers have their own problems anyway, one of them being
that you are never sure how big/small they actually are, so by that
logic you could argue that if you can not give an exact measure for a
given number, bickering over it size after an operation is pretty
pointless (pun intended) :-)

Beside the only number that really matters is 42 ;-)

--
mph