How to call application in the background with subprocess.call

jorma kala jjkk73 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 10:09:29 EDT 2010

Hi,

I'd like to call an external application (firefox) from a python program (a
PyQT GUI), but I want the external application to run in the background, I
mean I do not want my python calling program to wait till the external
subprocess terminates.
I've tried this:

call(["firefox", "http://www.python.org"])

but my PyQT interface freezes until I terminate Firefox.
Is there any parameter I need to use with call so that the python calling
program doesn't wait for the termination of the subprocess?

Many thanks