Performance of list vs. set equality operations

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Apr 10 21:30:31 EDT 2010

On 4/10/2010 8:32 AM, Stefan Behnel wrote:
> Steven D'Aprano, 08.04.2010 03:41:
>> On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 10:55:10 -0700, Raymond Hettinger wrote:

>>> If the two collections have unequal sizes, then both ways immediately
>>> return unequal.
>>

>> Perhaps I'm misinterpreting what you are saying, but I can't confirm that
>> behaviour, at least not for subclasses of list:

>> ... def __len__(self):
>> ... return self.n
>> True
>> False
>
> This code incorrectly assumes that overriding __len__ has an impact on
> the equality of two lists. If you want to influence the equality, you
> need to override __eq__. If you don't, the original implementation is
> free to do whatever it likes to determine if it is equal to another
> value or not. If it uses __len__ for that or not is only an
> implementation detail that can't be relied upon.

After reading the responses of both you and Raymond, I realized that a)
there is a real difference between 'checking lengths' and 'calling
__len__', which I (and apparently the example) had seen as the same and
b) that the example shows that assuming that they are the same is a
mistake. Thank you both for the clarification.

Terry Jan Reedy