2.7 beta 1

Mensanator mensanator at aol.com
Sun Apr 11 14:54:04 EDT 2010

On Apr 11, 11:53�am, Steven D'Aprano <st... at REMOVE-THIS-
cybersource.com.au> wrote:

> >> In what ways do you consider it broken?
>
> > Issue 8093. Remarkably, this apparently hasn't been noticed before.
>
> I think that tells you that it's an unimportant bug that doesn't really
> effect many people much,

It affects  me ... a LOT.

> and a million miles from implying that Python
> 3.x is "seriously broken and unsuitable for production".

Maybe because I'm a user, not a developer.

> > I expect 2.7 will be around for a long time.
>
> As reported on the bug tracker, this bug effects Python 2.7 as well. It's
> possible this bug goes back to, what? Python 2.5? 2.4? 2.3? Older? Who
> knows?

I can't imagine my not having noticed this before.
It's plausible I might not have noticed the runaway
processes, but the fact that I can't eject a USB
drive would have been very obvious.

> http://bugs.python.org/issue8093#msg102818
>
> In any case, IDLE is one IDE out of many, and not really up to
> professional quality -- it's clunky and ugly. It isn't Python, it is a
> tool written in Python.

You have no idea what the cause is, yet you're
certain that the symptom is confined to IDLE.

That's the kind of thinking that leads to such
bugs in the first place.