Write web apps in Python?

Luis M. González luismgz at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 08:37:54 EDT 2010

On 12 abr, 06:57, Gilles Ganault <nos... at nospam.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I'd like to make sure I understand what the options are to write web
> applications in Python:
>
> - à la PHP, using Apache's mod_python
>
> - using eg. Lighttpd and configuring it to load the Python interpreter
> every time a Python script is called (www.jakehilton.com/?q=node/54)
>
> - long-running process, by compiling the Python script as a
> stand-alone program that will then wait for queries on a port and
> being called by the web server through eg. the WSGI
>
> As for writing apps, I can either built it from scratch, or use
> frameworks like Pylons, TurboGears, or Django.
>
> Is this correct?
>
> Thank you.

You should first investigate the different python web frameworks,
choose one and then use the deployment options supported by your
choice. These frameworks support several ways to deploy your apps,
such as those you mentioned.

If you want an easy way to get started for free, check the Google App
Engine.
It's the google infraestructure to host web apps (written in python or
Java), and it's free as long as you don't surpass the limited quotas
on bandwith and data used (which are quite generous). You don't need
to set up anything. All you need is a google account to get started.

Luis