[Python-Dev] [RELEASED] 2.7 beta 1

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 09:07:21 EDT 2010

On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 1:13 AM, average <dreamingforward at gmail.com> wrote:

> There are so many features taken from 3.0 that I fear that it will
> postpone its adoption interminably (it is, in practice, treated as
> "beta" software itself).  By making it doctrine that it won't be
> official until the next "major" Python release, it will encourage
> those who are able, to just make the jump to 3.0, while those who
> cannot will have the subtle pressure to make the shift, however
> gradual.

> Additionally, it will give the community further incentive
> to make Python3 all that it was intended to be.  Personally, the
> timing of v3 prevented me from fully participating in that effort,
> and, not ignoring the work of those who did contribute, I think many
> of us feel that it has not reached its potential.

The same problem. For me it was possible to participate in standard
library development only after Python Alphas with Windows binaries
were released. I could test both new features and old bugs. Having a
requirement that every developer should be able to compile binaries
has an adverse effect on the quality of standard library.

The absence of public Roadmap also makes it hard to judge the
aforementioned "desired potential".
It could be possible to compile a public list like
http://dungeonhack.sourceforge.net/Roadmap

I am afraid of two things with forthcoming Python releases.
1. feature creeping
2. feature missing
And an overview of Python development in the form of release timer and
roadmap will remove the remnants of fear and uncertainty and surely
attract new people for sprints.

Regardless of said above it is great to feel the hard work behind the
scenes that makes new releases popping up. Thanks.
--
anatoly t.