How to run program in Linux

Jim Byrnes jf_byrnes at comcast.net
Sat Apr 17 11:34:57 EDT 2010

Dave Angel wrote:
> Jim Byrnes wrote:
>> Dave Angel wrote:

>>> You forgot to include the list in your reply. Try using reply-all
>>> instead.
>>>
>>> If you determine that the current directory is your problem, and that
>>> Nautilus isn't setting it the way you'd like, then you may have to
>>> resort to other ways to identify the other files you mention. Easiest
>>> way might be to use the __file__ attribute of each module, which gives
>>> its complete path. So your code in the main script could do something
>>> like (untested):
>>> target = os.path.dirname(__file__)
>>> os.chdir(target)
>>
>> I added target = os.path.dirname(__file__) and printed the result. If
>> I run the script in Idle it produces the correct result and shows the
>> path as /usr/bin. Running it form the terminal produces the correct
>> result but shows the path empty. Running it from Nautilus or a
>> launcher does not produce the correct result and shows the full path
>> to the directory that contains the script and its files.
>>
>> If I add os.chdir(target) to the script, Idle and the terminal stop
>> producing the correct result and the launcher and Nautilius start
>> producing the correct result. This is exactly the opposite of what I
>> expected.
>>
>>> Better is usually to ignore current directory, and passed the desired
>>> directory name into whatever function is going to use it.
>>
>> I'll keep this in mind for anything I write. Right now I'm trying to
>> understand some examples that were produced in a Windows environment.
>> Like I said at the top I am new to Linux (Ubuntu) and don't fully
>> understand its requirements.
>>
>>> HTH,
>>>
>>> DaveA
>>>

>> Thanks, Jim
>>
> Apparently in Linux, the __file__ contains a relative path. So you
> should normalize it, the easiest way being
>
> target = os.path.abspath(os.path.dirname(__file__))
>
> This should then be the same no matter how you launch the script.
>
> Any other guesses would need some sample code that shows the failure.
> But you probably need to simplify it substantially to convince a
> volunteer to look at it.
>
> DaveA

Using your suggestion now allows me to run the program from anywhere
except Idle, which gives file permission and database errors.  I didn't
paste the error here because my intent was to figure out how to run
python programs outside of Idle and you have shown me how to do it.  If
someone is interested in seeing the error message I will certainly post it.

Just want to say thanks for furthering my python understanding.

Regards  Jim