How to read file during module import?

HigStar adrian at higstar.com
Sun Apr 18 21:21:40 EDT 2010

On Apr 13, 4:03 am, "Gabriel Genellina" <gagsl-... at yahoo.com.ar>
wrote:
> En Sun, 11 Apr 2010 19:43:03 -0300,HigStar<adr... at higstar.com> escribió:
>
> > I have had trouble with the __file__ attribute in the past, when using
> > py2exe (i.e. on the windows platform) and using the bundle feature
> > (which zips all files).
> > Using os.path.realpath( __file__ ) resolves to something like .../
> > library.zip/packageName/fileName
> > Then when trying to perform an open on a file, say .../library.zip/
> > packageName/supportingPackageName, the file can not be found.
>
> Use pkgutil.get_data then:http://docs.python.org/library/pkgutil.html#pkgutil.get_data
>
> --
> Gabriel Genellina

Thanks Gabriel.
I should have been more specific with my example, the problem I had
was when trying to reference a non python file, so something like .../
library.zip/packageName/supportingDll.dll or .../library.zip/
packageName/supportingConfigFile.ini
For the DLL case, adding the directory that __file__ lives in to the
os.environ["PATH"] doesn't work.

Cheers

Adrian