Write web apps in Python?

Bruno Desthuilliers bruno.42.desthuilliers at websiteburo.invalid
Mon Apr 19 09:15:40 EDT 2010

Gilles Ganault a écrit :
> On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 12:41:56 +0200, Bruno Desthuilliers
> <bruno.42.desthuilliers at websiteburo.invalid> wrote:
>> The PHP execution model (mostly based on CGI FWIW) tends to be a bit
>> unpractical for non-trivial applications since you have to rebuild the
>> whole world for each and any incoming request, while with a long-running
>> process, you load all your libs, parse your config etc only once.
>
> Apart from the ease of having the application run at all times, I'd be
> curious to read about an application that was written in PHP and then
> a long-running process and see if performance improved.

I'm not sure there's a way to do such a thing in PHP, at least in a way
that wouldn't make the whole benchmark totally meaningless. And trying
to compare a PHP app with a similar non-PHP would also be (mostly)
meaningless.

Now there are a couple Symfony / Django benchmarks around (Symfony being
probably the closest thing to Django in the PHP world). They are just as
reliable as most benchmarks (that is, at best a rough indicator once you
understand what's effectively being measured), but it seems that they
confirm the empirical evidence that PHP is not well suited for such
"heavy" OO frameworks.

> Regardless, Python has an easier syntax, so AFAIC, that's already a
> good enough reason to use this to write web apps.

Indeed !-)