Code redundancy

Alan Harris-Reid aharrisreid at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 20 19:56:53 EDT 2010

Ethan Furman wrote:
> Alan Harris-Reid wrote:
>> The code is not usually in class.__init__ (otherwise I would have
>> used the self. prefix), but I like your self.__dict__.update(...)
>> solution and I'll try and remember it.
>>
>> The code I was thinking of goes something like as follows (don't have
>> a specific example to hand, but the principal is the same)...
>>
>> NewClass = BaseClass()
>> NewClass.attr1 = value1
>> NewClass.attr2 = value2
>> NewClass.attr3 = value3
>> etc.
>>
>> So if there are more than a couple of attributes to set for a class
>> instance, how would you approach it (short of passing the values as
>> parameters to BaseClass)?
>
> Unless I'm missing something (your use-case, perhaps? ;) in this
> example NewClass is *not* a class -- it's an instance of BaseClass,
> and you are dynamically adding attributes to it.
>
> It's definitely a switch coming from FoxPro (me, too!), but it is well
> worth it once your brain starts working pythonically.
>
> ~Ethan~

Hi Ethan,
You are correct - NewClass is an instance of BaseClass and I chose a
very bad class-name as an example.

Good to see ex-Fox people on this list.  I have recently got stuck-into
learning Python after my last VFP contract finished last December - wish
I had started years ago.  Really glad I went for Python, which I thought
would be the easiest transition from Foxpro (I looked at other
languages, but none came near to Python in terms of popularity and
developer-friendly syntax).  What's your story?

Regards,
Alan