Building a GUI Toolkit

Martin P. Hellwig martin.hellwig at dcuktec.org
Tue Apr 20 19:57:44 EDT 2010

On 04/20/10 21:15, Martin P. Hellwig wrote:
> On 04/20/10 19:53, Lie Ryan wrote:
> <cut>
>>
>> Rather than writing a windowing toolkit from the low-level, I would
>> rather like to see some wrapper for existing windowing toolkit which
>> uses more pythonic idioms.
>>
>> Most popular python GUI toolkit currently in use are only a simple thin
>> wrapper over the library they're wrapping and exposes a lot of the
>> design considerations of the language that the toolkit was originally
>> written in. Yes, even Tkinter that comes with the standard lib is a hack
>> on top of python and looks much more Tcl-ish than pythonic.
>>
>> I have always had the idea of writing a windowing toolkit wrapper that
>> creatively uses python features for maximum expressiveness (e.g.
>> decorator, with-statement, for-each), but never got the time to write
>> anything like that.
>
> Well I suppose you could piggyback on tk for that and rewrapping tkinter
> to be more pythonic is probably more doable than rewriting it from scratch.

On second thought, if you would like borderless windows (for example to
implement all widgets from scratch), you run into troubles, as
overrideredirect also affects the keyboard focus, so you can't use the
keyboard in any widget created. And also it would be ice to still have
an iconify option.

--
mph