ctypes: delay conversion from c_char_p to string

Brendan Miller catphive at catphive.net
Wed Apr 21 18:29:24 EDT 2010

Here's the method I was using. Note that tmp_char_ptr is of type
c_void_p. This should avoid the memory leak, assuming I am
interpreting the semantics of the cast correctly. Is there a cleaner
way to do this with ctypes?

    def get_prop_string(self, prop_name):
        # Have to work with c_void_p to prevent ctypes from copying to a string
        # without giving me an opportunity to destroy the original string.
        tmp_char_ptr = _get_prop_string(self._props, prop_name)
        prop_val = cast(tmp_char_ptr, c_char_p).value
        _string_destroy(tmp_char_ptr)
        return prop_val