Importing package on Windows XP

Dave Angel davea at ieee.org
Thu Apr 22 07:06:31 EDT 2010

M.-H. Z wrote:
> Hello dear Python hackers.
> I have a pretty stupid problem that I cannot solve despite all my
> efforts: Python cannot find my modules. I am sure the answer is
> obvious, but I cannot find it.
> The problem is simple, here is a toy example (which does not work).
> I have a file:
> ---
> import sys
> print sys.path
> import module2
> import mod.module1
> if __name__ == "__main__":
>   print "OK"
> ---
> I have something like
> ---
> print "I am in module X"
> ---
> for the files moduleX.py.
> The file hierarchy is the following:
> "." (which is "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrateur\Bureau\Test")
> contains "test.py" (the main file), "module2.py", "module2.pyc" and
> the directory "mod". This directory contains "__init.py__" (empty) and
> "module1.py".
> I put the current path (again: "C:\Documents and Settings
> \Administrateur\Bureau\Test") into the PYTHONPATH environment variable
> (using "set" and the Control Panel) and I added the path into the
> PythonPath registers (just in case).
> The output of the execution still is:
> ---
> ['C:\\Documents and Settings\\Administrateur\\Bureau\Test', ...]
> I am in module 2
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "test.py", line 6 in (module)
>     from mod import module
> ImportError: No module named mod
> ---
> I really do not know where the error is. It works perfectly well under
> Linux and Mac.
> Could anyone help me there?
> Thanks a lot,
> Matthias.

Probably the error is that you're not posting the same code as you're
executing.  The error message refers to a line:
     from mod import module

which is wrong in two ways.  But in your source, you show
    import mod.module1

which I expect should work.  (I didn't try it)

So run the source you posted, and if it still fails, show us the
traceback from that same code.  Then somebody will spot the problem.

HTH
DaveA