Python 2.X vs. 3.X - level of acceptance?

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Tue Apr 27 08:00:05 EDT 2010

Stephan Schulz wrote:

> I've been using Python for a long while (certainly since it was 1.X),
> and I've taught some aspects of it in my lectures. I'm now thinking of
> preparing a new lecture where some of the theoretical concepts will be
> illustrated by implementations of e.g. automata and DPLL provers,
> preferably in Python.
>
> I'm so far only familiar with Python 2.X. Is Python 3 sucessful enough
> to make a switch worthwhile now? Or will students still face an
> infrastructure with mostly Python 2.X deployed in, say, 2 years time,
> when they graduate?

I think you can make the decision light-heartedly, based on the current
availability of libraries you'd like your students to use. The difficulty of
switching between 2.x and 3.x in whatever direction is likely several
magnitudes smaller than grokking the contents of your lecture.

That said, I expect 2.x to dominate for the next five rather than two years.

Peter