Python 2.X vs. 3.X - level of acceptance?

John Nagle nagle at animats.com
Tue Apr 27 22:57:25 EDT 2010

Roger Binns wrote:
> On 04/27/2010 03:57 AM, Stephan Schulz wrote:
>> Is Python 3 sucessful enough to make a switch worthwhile now?
>
> The language/interpreter is just fine.  The biggest problem is 3rd party
> modules.

    Indeed.  Python 3 is a good language, and the CPython interpreter
is in good shape, but many key modules aren't ready for prime time
under Python 3 yet.

    For teaching purposes, I'd teach Python 3.  Most Python 3 code
will run in 2.6/2.7, more or less.

    I have a Python 3.1 installed for fun, but I can't actually
do much useful with it until the MySQLdb module fully supports it.

				John Nagle