os x compile, install?

Rob rob.nikander at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 04:35:54 EDT 2010

On Apr 28, 2:09 pm, Rob <rob.nikan... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Python on my system is behaving badly, so I want to create a new
> install from source code.  I have OS X 10.6.2, I downloaded the source
> code (Python-2.6.5.tar.bz2) and did the usual, ./configure, make, sudo
> make install.  Build went fine.  But on install, why is it putting
> things is my home directory?

Doh!  Nevermind...  I had created a ~/.pydistutils.cfg file a
couple weeks ago, for some stupid reason I can't remember.  I forgot
to delete that file.  It's contents were:

[install]
install_lib = ~/Library/Python/$py_version_short/site-packages
install_scripts = ~/bin

So it was overriding the normal setup.py behavior.

Rob