pyjamas 0.7 released

Wolfgang Strobl news3 at mystrobl.de
Thu Apr 29 02:37:35 EDT 2010

lkcl <luke.leighton at googlemail.com>:

>On Apr 28, 7:00 am, Wolfgang Strobl <ne... at mystrobl.de> wrote:

>> Two weeks ago, I played around with the trunk version, looking for an
>> working drag&drop example. I didn't find anything, but noticed some
>> unfinished code in a dnd subdirectory. Are you aware of the fact that
>> many of the examples just don't work
>
> no - because i specifically asked people, in the 0.7 pre-releases, to
>report any bugs found on http://code.google.com/p/pyjamas/issues and i
>said that once a certain amount of time had elapsed without receiving
>significant bugreports, i would do a release.

Look at it from the point of view of people walking by, trying to decide
whether they should invest some of their time into digging into yet
another framework and library.

>> and that there is no way of
>> telling, other than by trying each one out in turn?
>
> yepp  that's correct.  across multiple browsers and across multiple
>desktop platforms.  nine in total.  which is why i asked for community
>input this time.

It's hard to come by with valuable input when the baseline - what is
expected to work under which circumstances is unknown. Don't expect the
community having as much knowledge about all the relevant topics as you
have.

>for the 0.6 release i spent about a month of my own time and money
>doing the necessary verification, and i decided i wasn't going to
>place the entire burden of testing onto my own shoulders, this time,
>because pyjamas is a _community_ project and is _not_ funded by
>google, PSF, or any other organisation, foundation or company.

So please make it simpler for more people to help. Other people have
other projects, where they invest some of their own time and money in.

>>  I didn't look at
>> every example again, but AFAIK, this didn't change with 0.7. (Tried with
>> Python 2.6.4/5 on WinXP/7 with Firefox and Chrome, if that matters).
>
> then please issue bugreports for as many as you feel comfortable
>with / have time for.

Ok, will do.

>i _did_ tell people this time that i was
>relying on community input more than for 0.6.  thus, the "quality" of
>the release depends on collective input.
>
>> There are quite some impressive working examples, but the user
>> experience is somewhat lacking and hampered by stumbling over faulting
>> examples, IMHO. May I suggest to restrinct some overview page to the
>> working examples, only?
>
> no, because they're all intended to work.  ohh... wait... are you
>referring to some of the django-based ones?

No. Having written a few small django apps myself, I'm certainly aware
about such dependencies. But are you aware that's there is no simple way
to tell whether certain apps have environment dependencies like this?
Avoiding examples depending on django is obvious.  What about the
infohierarchy sample, for example?

I'm talking about messages like
lightout TypeError: lightout.RootPanel().,get is no function
and such. I'll make a list over the weekend.

>no, you can't be, because
>the http://pyjs.org/examples page won't refer you to them.

Sure.

>> Given my original motivation for looking into it - may I ask whether
>> there is a working example for a dnd operation, somewhere?

> the person who started the port of gwt-dnd requested that they be
>"left alone" to complete it, but then didn't.  the use of java2py.py
>and manual conversion i can do about 1000 lines per day, and people
>i've guided before usually take about 3x longer than me.  i don't have
>money to work on even 1 line let alone 1000, so if you'd like to go
>through the code, converting it and the examples, i'm happy to advise
>(on the pyjamas-dev list so that other people can contribute as well
>if they choose).

Hey, I'm just asking, after looking around for a while and finding none,
I'm not demanding anything.

Thanks for the detailed explaination of how to do a conversion, which
I've deleted here for brevity. I'll give it a try, but it will require
some reading.

--
Wir danken für die Beachtung aller Sicherheitsbestimmungen