[SOLVED] Calling multiple programs with subprocess

Amit Uttamchandani amit.uttam at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 16:26:27 EDT 2010

On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 08:22:14AM +0530, Kushal Kumaran wrote:

[snip]

> Run a shell (cmd.exe, I think) using subprocess and send it the
> commands you want to run using the communicate() method.

Actually, I ended up using stdin.write('...\n'), and it works as expected:

        #
        # Set WindRiver environment for VxWorks 6.4
        #
        wrenv_path = "C:\WindRiver\wrenv.EXE"
        args = [wrenv_path, '-p', 'vxworks-6.4']
        proc = subprocess.Popen(args,
                                shell=True,
                                stdin=subprocess.PIPE,
                                stdout=subprocess.PIPE
                               )
        proc.stdin.write(str.encode('wrws_update -data %s -l %s -b clean\n' %
                                   (workspace, self.target)))
        output, error = proc.communicate()
        print(output)
        print(error)

You can keep using stdin.write until you call communicate() this allows
you to write certain commands to the stdin for the process you launched.
Note: wrenv.exe is actually a shell like cmd.exe.

The above code is written for Python 3.1.

Thanks for the help.