External Hashing [was Re: matching strings in a large set of strings]

Dave Angel davea at ieee.org
Fri Apr 30 16:44:15 EDT 2010

Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> I think one could apply an external hashing technique which would require only
> very few disk accesses per lookup.
> Unfortunately, I'm now aware of an implementation in Python.
> Does anybody know about a Python implementation of external hashing?
>
> Thanks,
> Helmut.

That's what databases are for.  But if you're trying to streamline it
further than a database, you need to give some constraints.  In an
earlier thread, you mentioned strings with a constant size.  I don't
think you ever actually said that the match string was also of the same
size, but I'll assume it is.  Final question is how often you'll be
updating the list, versus searching it.  If you do both frequently,
stick to a database.

On the other hand, if the list on disk is fixed, you could thoroughly
optimize its makeup.  Perhaps the easiest efficient form would be to
have a file in two parts.  The first part is the hash table, where each
entry has a seek-offset and a size.  And the rest of the file is just a
"list" of items, sorted by hash value.

If you make a hash large enough that the maximum collision list is a
couple of k, then two seeks would get any record.  First seek to the
hash entry, then use that to decide where to seek for the data, and how
much to read.  Then you simply search that block in memory.

You could also play games with a two-level hash, where each block of
records has its own mini hash table.  Doesn't seem worth it for a mere
83million records.

DaveA