Browser-based MMOG web framework

exarkun at twistedmatrix.com exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
Thu Apr 1 22:59:40 EDT 2010

On 01:14 am, srosborne at gmail.com wrote:
>Hi, I could use some advice on my project.
>
>It's a browser-based MMOG: "The High Seas" (working title)
>
>Basically it is a trading game set in 1600s or 1700s ... inspirations:
>Patrician 3, Mine Things, Space Rangers 2, ...
>
>Travel between cities takes several days: game updates trading ship
>positions every 10 minutes.  Apart from that it handles player input
>to buy/sell goods, if their ship is in port.
>
>I want the game logic and world state data storage on a webserver,
>with players connecting via web browser.  Also, I want to make an
>"admin mode" client for me to keep track of the world and add changes
>to game world stuff.
>
>I want to use Python but I haven't ever used it in a web context.
>
>http://wiki.python.org/moin/WebFrameworks lists several different
>options for Python Web Frameworks: Django, Grok, Pylons, TurboGears,
>web2py, Zope.  I've heard of Django and Grok...that's about my level
>of knowledge here.
>
>My question: can any of these frameworks help me with what I'm trying
>to do?

This is something that Twisted and Nevow Athena will probably be really
good at doing (a lot better than the ones you've mentioned above, I
think).

You can find an Athena introduction here (at least for now, the content
might move to another site before too long):

    http://divmodsphinx.funsize.net/nevow/chattutorial/

Jean-Paul