off topic but please forgive me me and answer

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Sat Apr 3 10:43:25 EDT 2010

superpollo wrote:
> Steve Holden ha scritto:
[...]
>> If he agrees to that, then get him to agree that x * 1 == x for any x.
>>
>> If he agrees to that
>
> he does not, since "you cannot multiply something, and not getting some
> more of it" ... he is stuck with the latin etimology of "multiply"
> ("multiplicare" means "increase quantity", like in the fish and bread
> miracle)

Ah, so he's talking semantics, not mathematics. Absolutely no point
expecting agreement on a common sense basis, then. Particularly when he
takes such a narrow-minded view.

In short, he has his head up his ass.

Would he agree that two halves make a whole? If so, he appears to deny
the commutativity of multiplication. Such people are amusing for the
first ten minutes, but I am sure he has managed to bore everyone to
death by now.

regards
 Steve
See PyCon Talks from Atlanta 2010  http://pycon.blip.tv/