off topic but please forgive me me and answer

Patrick Maupin pmaupin at gmail.com
Sat Apr 3 13:15:38 EDT 2010

On Apr 3, 11:59 am, Emile van Sebille <em... at fenx.com> wrote:
> On 4/3/2010 8:46 AM Patrick Maupin said...
>
> > On Apr 3, 9:43 am, "Martin P. Hellwig">  IMHO, the crackpot in this
> > regard is actually partially right,
> >> multiplication does mean that the number must get bigger, however for
> >> fractions you multiply four numbers, two numerators and two
> >> denominators. The resulting numerator and denominator by this
> >> multiplication get indeed bigger.
>
> > That argument is great!  Just make sure that you've managed to leave
> > before the class has to learn about irrational numbers that don't
> > *have* numerators and denominators ;-)
>
> Ahh, but no ones arguing that irrational numbers don't get bigger --
> even before you multiply them!

True, but being an optimist, just as (-1 * -1 == +1) (which
admittedly, I had a hard time trying to explain to my father years
ago), and just as (not not True == True) and just as multiplying two
imaginary numbers can have a real result, I was hoping that it would
also be the case that having a discussion with an irrational person
about irrational numbers could have a rational result.  Of course,
that hope was incredibly naive of me, since most operations with
irrational numbers which do not involve either closely related
irrational numbers or zero will also result in irrational numbers.  I
think induction will show that this property (that an irrational
number can make any result that it is involved in irrational) can also
be applied to irrational people and discussions.  ;-)

Regards,
Pat