Incorrect scope of list comprehension variables

Paul Rubin no.email at nospam.invalid
Sun Apr 4 17:50:54 EDT 2010

Alain Ketterlin <alain at dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr> writes:
>     d[r] = [r for r in [4,5,6]]
> THe problem is that the "r" in d[r] somehow captures the value of the
> "r" in the list comprehension, and somehow kills the loop interator.

Yes, this is a well known design error in Python 2.x.  The 3.x series
fixes this error but introduces other errors of its own.  It is evil
enough that I almost always use this syntax instead:

    d[r] = list(r for r in [4,5,6])

that works in 3.x and the later releases of 2.x.  In early 2.x (maybe up
to 2.2) it throws an error at compile time rather than at run time.