python as pen and paper substitute

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Tue Apr 6 21:28:02 EDT 2010

Manuel Graune wrote:
> Manuel Graune <manuel.graune at koeln.de> writes:
>> The use-case is acually fairly simple. The point is to use a python
>> source-file as subsitute for scrap-paper (with the opportunity to
>> edit what is already written and without illegible handwriting).
>> The output should  1) show manually selected python code and comments
>> (whatever I think is important), 2) show selected results (final and
>> intermediate) and 3) *not* show python code that for someone only
>> interested in the calculation and the results (and probably not
>> knowing python) would just be "noise" (e. g. "import"-statements,
>> actual "print()"-functions, etc.).

How about a decorator that turns your function into an object with the
results?  Your code would then look like this:

8<----------------------------------------------
#! /usr/bin/python3
from sp import ScratchPad
from math import pi as PI

@ScratchPad
def code1():
     d1= 3.0
     A1= d1**2 * PI / 4.0

print("Area of Circle 1:\t", code1.A1)

@ScratchPad
def code2():
     d2= 5.0
     A2= d2**2 * PI / 4.0

print("Area of Circle 2:\t", code2.A2)

Sum_Of_Areas= code1.A1 + code2.A2
print("Sum of areas:\t", Sum_Of_Areas)

8<----------------------------------------------

and the printout like so:

Python 3.1 (r31:73574, Jun 26 2009, 20:21:35) [MSC v.1500 32 bit
(Intel)] on win32
 >>> import sp_test

d1= 3.0
A1= d1**2 * PI / 4.0

Area of Circle 1:        7.06858347058

d2= 5.0
A2= d2**2 * PI / 4.0

Area of Circle 2:        19.6349540849
Sum of areas:    26.7035375555

Here's the code for the decorator:

8<--------------------------------------------------------------
import inspect

class PropertyObj():
     """lookup using . notation"""

def ScratchPad(func):
     source = inspect.getsourcelines(func)[0][2:]
     lead_space = 0
     for char in source[0]:
         if char == ' ':
             lead_space += 1
         else:
             break
     source = ''.join([line[lead_space:] for line in source])
     print('\n' + source)
     intermed_result = {}
     final_result = PropertyObj()
     exec(source, func.__globals__, intermed_result)
     for key, value in intermed_result.items():
         setattr(final_result, key, value)
     return final_result

Hope this helps!

~Ethan~