Regex driving me crazy...

James Stroud nospamjstroudmapson at mbi.ucla.edu
Wed Apr 7 22:02:39 EDT 2010

Patrick Maupin wrote:
> BTW, although I find it annoying when people say "don't do that" when
> "that" is a perfectly good thing to do, and although I also find it
> annoying when people tell you what not to do without telling you what
> *to* do, and although I find the regex solution to this problem to be
> quite clean, the equivalent non-regex solution is not terrible

I propose a new way to answer questions on c.l.python that will (1) give respondents the pleasure of vague admonishment and (2) actually answer the question. The way I propose utilizes the double negative. For example:

"You are doing it wrong! Don't not do <code>re.split('\s{2,}', s[2])</code>."

Please answer this way in the future.

Thank you,
James