[Python-Dev] [RELEASED] 2.7 beta 1

Melton Low softw.devl at gmail.com
Sat Apr 10 18:27:41 EDT 2010

On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 4:13 PM, average <dreamingforward at gmail.com> wrote:

> > On behalf of the Python development team, I'm merry to announce the first
> beta
> > release of Python 2.7.
> >
> > Python 2.7 is scheduled (by Guido and Python-dev) to be the last major
> version
> > in the 2.x series.  Though more major releases have not been absolutely
> ruled
> > out, it's likely that the 2.7 release will an extended period of
> maintenance for
> > the 2.x series.
>
> May I propose that the developers consider keeping this release *beta*
> until after the present Python moratorium?  That is, don't let it be
> marked as *official* until after, say, Python 3.3.
>
> There are so many features taken from 3.0 that I fear that it will
> postpone its adoption interminably (it is, in practice, treated as
> "beta" software itself).  By making it doctrine that it won't be
> official until the next "major" Python release, it will encourage
> those who are able, to just make the jump to 3.0, while those who
> cannot will have the subtle pressure to make the shift, however
> gradual.  Additionally, it will give the community further incentive
> to make Python3 all that it was intended to be.  Personally, the
> timing of v3 prevented me from fully participating in that effort,
> and, not ignoring the work of those who did contribute, I think many
> of us feel that it has not reached its potential.
>
> Just a small suggestion... .. .
>
> marcos
> --

I disagree.  2.7 should go GA as soon as the developers deemed it stable.

Those who don't need 3rd party packages will no doubt migrate to 3.x.  Those
that required 3rd party packages not yet ported to 3.x will want to use 2.7.
 Delaying 2.7 from GA doesn't change the reality.  I myself would want to
use back ported features from 2.7 as a way to prepare for migration as soon
as those 3rd party packages are ported to 3.x.

Mel