packaging multiple python scripts as Windows exe file

Mike Driscoll kyosohma at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 15:56:43 EDT 2010

On Apr 12, 5:20 pm, Alex Hall <mehg... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> While my project is still suffering from major import problems, I will
> soon have to try to package it as a Windows executable file. I do not
> want an installer; I want the user to be able to run the program for
> as long as they want, then to quit (by using a command from inside the
> program) and that is it. Nothing to install, no files to copy, no
> registry editing, just start and use it until done.
>
> I know about the popular solutions for this sort of thing, but I read
> that a DLL is required, and that this dll cannot be (legally)
> distributed by myself? A few questions here:
> 1. Did I read this wrong / is this outdated? Please answer 'yes' as
> this will be a real pain to deal with.
>
> 2. If I must have it but can distribute it, where should it go so my
> program can find it?
>
> 3. If the user must download it for legal reasons, instead of me
> giving it to them, can I just have a Python script take care of it and
> put it in the same directory as the program, so the program can find
> it, or do I need to register the dll with the system? If I need to
> register, does this require admin login?
>
> Thanks as always!
>
> --
> Have a great day,
> Alex (msg sent from GMail website)
> mehg... at gmail.com;http://www.facebook.com/mehgcap

Without knowing the exact DLL you're thinking of, we can't be sure
what the answer is. But I think you're talking about a certain MS DLL
that Python distributes. If so, I've read multiple threads on this
topic that claim that since Python distributes it, there is an implied
permission that you can as well. Since I'm not a lawyer, I can't say
for sure, but the articles I've seen are pretty convincing.