Creating a standalone application

Jonathan Hartley tartley at tartley.com
Wed Apr 14 04:24:54 EDT 2010

On Apr 13, 10:42 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l... at geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> In message <kZ4xn.868$I8.... at news.indigo.ie>, Luis Quesada wrote:
>
> > I am getting an "expected string without null bytes" error when using
> > cxfreeze for creating a standalone application (in Linux-Ubuntu).
>
> Why bother? Every decent Linux system will have Python available. Why not
> just distribute it as a script?

I keep hearing this reply every time I ask this question, and it
doesn't seem to make sense to me.

Anything other than a trivial script will have dependencies. These
might be other Python packages, C-extensions, and other libraries.
What if your program runs on a version of Python other than the one
installed on the client's Linux system?

In my opinion, there is a severe need for this question to be answered
in a robust and simple way. Is creating an rpm / deb file the answer?
I don't know, but I think it's a very valid question.