missing dll follow-up

Jonathan Hartley tartley at tartley.com
Thu Apr 15 07:14:44 EDT 2010

On Apr 15, 12:11 pm, Jonathan Hartley <tart... at tartley.com> wrote:
> Alex Hall wrote:
> > The vcredist_x86 was, I thought, supposed to give me
> > the dll, but it does not seem to have done so.
>
> The installer puts the DLL in the directory C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS
> (or at least it does for me, on WinXP) I shall update the py2exe
> tutorial page to reflect this.
>
> Under that dir, there are a lot of mangled directory names, and a
> director called 'Manifests'. You can still discern the text
> 'Microsoft.VC90.CRT' and '9.0.21022.8' within the filenames of the DLL
> dir and the manifest file that you want. I am no expert, but I think
> if you are taking a copy of these to embed in your application, then
> you can (must?) rename them to remove the mangling, as described on
> the py2exe tutorial page.
>
> If you still cannot find the DLL there, then try searching your
> "Program Files" folder for a copy included with another application.
> Several other Visual C/C++ applications include these runtime DLLs.
> (eg. Console2 from sourceforge)
>
> One other thing to keep in mind is that there is more than one version
> of this DLL in the wild, all with the same filename. You absolutely
> need the same version that Python 2.6 was compiled with, which is
> 9.0.21022.8. You can tell which version of the DLL you have got the
> tooltip when hovering you mouse cursor over it. (also hovering over
> the redistributable installer will tell you the same thing)
>
> The original version of the redistributable installer does provide the
> correct DLL version (this is the same thing as linked to above. This
> is the English version):http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9b2da534-3e0...
>
> The SP1 version of the same installer provides a different version of
> the DLL (but with the same filename). This will not work.

Oh, and, this is probably obvious and well-known, sorry if I'm
teaching grandmother to suck eggs here, but if you have rights to
distribute this DLL with your application, I understand this means
that you own a copy of Visual Studio, and a copy of the DLL and
manifest file can be found in the installed Visual Studio 'redist'
directory. If you don't have such a DLL in that directory (eg. if you
have the express edition) then you don't have legal right to
distribution it. Just so you know.