Updated License Term Agreement for VC Redistributable in VS 2008 SP1

python at bdurham.com python at bdurham.com
Fri Apr 16 13:40:37 EDT 2010

Lie,

> Does it makes sense to be able to install a library in other's computer, but not redistribute it? Hmm... I'll have to consult a lawyer.

See Tim Robert's response (I can't remember which Python mailing list)

<quote>
The license agreement change fixes a problem that was accidentally
introduced by Visual Studio 2008 SP1. The redistributable package that
can be downloaded directly from Microsoft (which you would use if you
had the Express Edition) has the right license to begin with. It never
had the restriction.

Microsoft's intent is that you be able to distribute the non-debug
runtimes with any applications built with Visual Studio. They are evil,
but not arbitrarily malicious.
</quote>

Malcolm