Download Visual Studio Express 2008 now

Martin v. Loewis martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Apr 16 18:38:45 EDT 2010

>> Python 2.6, 2.7, and 3.1 are all built with that release (i.e. 2008).
>> Because of another long tradition, Python extension modules must be
>> built with the same compiler version (more specifically, CRT version) as
>> Python itself. So to build extension modules for any of these releases,
>> you need to have a copy of VS 2008 or VS 2008 Express.
>
>    Is it too late for Python 2.7 to update to using Visual Studio 2010?

Most definitely. They have switched *again* the way they distribute the
CRT, so major changes to packaging and distutils would be required.

> It is going to be much easier for people to find and install the current
> version of VS than the previous. There is still more than 2 months left
> before 2.7 is planned to be released.

It took us about two years to accommodate the CRT change. This time, it
will be easier, but nowhere near 2 months. I'm skeptical that the switch
to VS 2010 will be ready for 3.2.

Regards,
Martin