What license/copyright text to include and where to include it when selling a commercial Python based application?

Martin v. Loewis martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Apr 16 18:45:52 EDT 2010

> 1. What Python license text/copyright text should I place in our
> printed user manual?
>
> 2. What Python license text/copyright text should I include in
> our online documentation?
>
> 3. What Python license text/copyright text should I include in
> product's license text file?
>
> 4. What Python license text/copyright text should I include in
> application's splash screen and about dialog boxes?

IANAL, and you should really ask your own lawyer.

However, the relevant clause seems to be clause 2, which requires you to
retain a copy of the license "in Python alone or in any derivative
version prepared by Licensee".

IIUC, your product will be a derivative version (ask your lawyer whether
that's a correct assessment). Then, the only requirement is to have a
copy of the license in the derivative work, i.e. in the software
installation. No need to include it in the manual, the online
documentation, or the splash screen. Putting it into the product's
license text file might be appropriate, as might be putting it next to it.

Regards,
Martin