Write web apps in Python?

Emile van Sebille emile at fenx.com
Wed Apr 21 15:09:50 EDT 2010

On 4/21/2010 11:37 AM Bryan said...
> 'Round here we love Python. I prefer Python to Perl or PHP even in
> those languages' particular areas of specialization. Advocating for
> Python does not require spreading myths about PHP.

You're missing the point -- set-up and tear-down overhead is involved
for both python and php cgi based web serving, and Bruno I'm sure would
concur that python in this suffers similarly.  You point at exactly the
issue when you noted earlier:

Bryan> I think I see what you mean -- correct me if
Bryan> I'm wrong: You want to keep complex application
Bryan> data structures around between requests. That
Bryan> sounds appealing in terms of efficiency, but
Bryan> it's bad for scalability and robustness.

It's more than appealing -- for example, it's fact with Zope, where Zeo
adds the scalability.

Emile