Linux servers, network and file names

Infinity77 andrea.gavana at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 12:44:33 EDT 2010

Hi Tim,

On Apr 22, 4:04 pm, Tim Golden wrote:
> On 22/04/2010 15:13, Infinity77 wrote:
> > [I] choose this file myself, the FileDialog (a window representing a file
> > selector dialog) will return something like this (let's ignore the
> > back/forward slashes, this is not an issue):
>
> > Y:/Folder/FileName.txt
>
> > If my colleague does it, he will get:
>
> > Z:/Folder/FileName.txt
>
> > Even if I am able to work out the server name using the Windows drive
> > letter (and I was able to do it, now I don't remember anymore how to
> > do it), what I get is:
>
> > For me:  //SERVER/gavana/Folder/FileName.txt
> > Colleague: //SERVER/Colleague/Folder/FileName.txt
>
> Why do you and your colleagues have different share names?

I have no idea, I will ask our IT, they set it up :-)

> Can you just use a UNC like the above and end up with the same path?

By the few tests I run up to now, seems like I can... it seems odd
however for a file name stored somewhere (I mean, the string
representing the file name) to have my name in it. Feels fragile and
incorrect. But whatever ;-)

Thank you Tim for your help.

Andrea.