Engineering numerical format PEP discussion

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Apr 26 02:23:29 EDT 2010

On 4/25/2010 11:36 PM, Keith wrote:
> I am considering writing a PEP for the inclusion of an engineering
> format specifier, and would appreciate input from others.

I tested that input is no problem, so the only question is output.

> Do you think this idea has enough merit to make it to PEP status?

I think it has enough merit to be considered. A minor addition to
.format() specifiers for 3.whenever would probably not require a PEP.
(It is too late at night for me to think about anything concrete at the
moment, though.) A concrete proposal on the python-ideas list might be
enough. I am not sure if this would be covered by the current moratorium
on core changes, though.

Terry Jan Reedy